I wanted to start off this section with a very improtant post.
We all have heard the following Hadith from Sahih Bukhari, Narrated Abu Huraira which states:
I heard Allah’s Apostle saying, “There is healing in black seed for all diseases except death.”
But have you ever thought about what this actually means? Do you know that using it is not as simple as just chewing or swallowing it? Do you know that there are other Hadith on the uses of this seed and it’s benefits? Well let me fill you in a little!
This small seed is gathering quite the following these days. Its uses can be traced back thousands of years, but how do you use it? We have been using the seeds as well as the oils for about two years now and Masha’Allah it is definitely something to be grateful for. I will get to the ailments that we have found it aides, but first I’d like to explain what I have found about this Blessed seed in my fancy shmancy research, although as Muslims it should be enough that we were given this advice from our Beloved (PBUH), but sometimes although we trust in his word, we love to see that he was right and right he was! Subhan’Allah.
So “modern” research has shown that this tiny seed contains more than a hundred components which work together in perfect harmony to cure disease and provide powerful medicine. The following are some found functions that this powerful seed can perform with the right dosage and usage. Please keep in mind that these are the tested actions of this seed and because it is so powerful, for serious cases you should refer to your doctor or a homeopathic specialist before usage.
- Analgesic: Relieves or dampens sensation of pain.
- Anthelmintic: destroys and expels intestinal worm.
- Anti-bacterial: Destroys or inhibits the growth of destructive bacteria.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Reduces inflammation.
- Anti-Microbial: Destroys or inhibits the growth of destructive microorganisms.
- Antioxidant: Prevents or delays the damaging oxidisation of the body’s cells – particularly useful against free radicals.
- Anti-Pyretic: exhibits a ‘cooling action’, useful in fever reduction.
- Anti-spasmodic: Prevents or eases muscle spasms and cramps.
- Anti-tumour: Counteracts or prevents the formation of malignant tumours
- Carminative: Stimulates digestion and induces the expulsion of gas from the stomach and the intestines.
- Diaphoretic: Induces perspiration during fever to cool and stimulate the release of toxins.
- Diuretic: Stimulates urination to relieve bloating and rid the body of any excess water.
- Digestive: Stimulates bile and aids in the digestive process.
- Emmenagogue: Stimulates menstrual flow and activity.
- Galactogogue: Stimulates the action of milk in new mothers.
- Hypotensive: Reduces excess blood pressure.
- Immunomodulator: Suppresses or strengthens immune system activity as needed for optimum balance.
- Laxative: Causes looseness or relaxation of the bowels.
(got this info from lyranara.me, please see link below)
Packed with all these benefits and more, you cannot help but be thankful to Allah for this amazing blessing. I am thankful as it has helped in so many aspects in our home. As a massage oil for aches, pains and when we are stuffed up from the flu it has been a great addition and I am very happy to report that we have not used Advil or Tylenol or any other pain killer or anti-inflamatory in our home in over a year and half now. We use it as an inhalant (couple of drops of oil in steaming hot water or boil a teaspoon of seeds in some water and inhale steam) for my son who has a mild to moderate case of asthma and Masha’Allah I am happy to say that he gets better and better everyday. We are using it for itchy skin and eczema, which it does wonders for! We also take a dose of 6-7 seeds every morning in whole or powder form in food and we have seen a significant weight loss and my husband’s bad cholesterol is under control now, Alhamdullilah. The list goes on! There are so many more uses! I am putting a few links below where I found much of this information and hope that you will also do your own research.
I know several of you will ask where you can get the seeds or oil, well any of your local Middle Eastern or South Indian stores will carry it, otherwise Amazon or Google are a good place to start).
Allah has given us the cures for all our ailments in the natural environment around us. We just have to reflect on His words (which are also a cure as I will explain in the next few articles) as well as the Prophecies (Hadith) of our Beloved Prophet (PBUH). When you do research this seed, you will come to realize that it is quite prominent in other religious texts as well, especially the Gospel of Christ. Allah never fails us, let’s not fail ourselves…Let’s turn to Him in remembrance and aide. He always comes through, Subhan’Allah.
Let me know if you use Black Seeds or Nigella Sativa or Kalonji or the Blessed Seed…etc (see what I mean? It’s used in so many places you will find a plethora of names for it!) and how it has benefitted you, Insha’Allah.
Please do take care of yourselves and HAPPY HEALING!